In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for November 2022.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+ (sometimes 100,000+). After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
Long Story Short
Elections and World Cup – that’s it. If you wanted us to boil down the full list of Google Search queries that happened in November 2022, we’d tell you those two topics were the top ones. Of course, there is more to our search behavior than just voting and soccer. If it were that easy, the AMP Agency SEO team could keep these reports down to a few lines each month. But no, life is not easy and we do have 90 keywords to sift through.
The Powerball lottery was popular again this month until somebody won. There were tech layoffs and wild weather to learn more about. There were shows and movies to watch and Black Friday Deals to research. Lastly, there were other sports to follow besides soccer although at times, it didn’t seem like it. Let’s examine the month that was with the search keywords as reported by Google Trends.
10 Million Queries of These Phrases
In total, there were seven keywords that were queried over ten million times in a 24 hour period last month. Most of them fit into other categories so we’ll discuss them later on in the article. Here are the three phrases that sit outside our groupings:
Takeoff – 11/1/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
Aaron Carter – 11/5/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
Veterans Day – 11/10/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
Sadly, the first two were triggered by celebrity deaths. The AMP team doesn’t typically report on these types of phrases but their query numbers met the tool’s reporting maximum. Google changed their logo on Veterans Day, which led to a large number of queries for the holiday.
Powerball Fever Continues
As it was in October 2022, the Powerball lottery was a popular subject last month.
- Powerball – 11/1/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Powerball – 11/2/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Powerball – 11/7/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
That is, until somebody won. Then, people didn’t care as much. When the jackpot is high, so is the search interest.
With Google’s help, the topic of the midterm elections was very popular in the first couple of weeks in November 2022.
- How do i vote – 11/3/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Where to vote – 11/7/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
- Election results – 11/8/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
- Where to vote – 11/8/2022 – 10,000,000+ queries
- Georgia election results – 11/8/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
The natural language questions that you see in the bullet points above were driven by Google Doodles that presented people with results on how and where they could vote.
Big Tech Keywords
Early in the month, the keywords queried about big tech companies didn’t have a happy intent.
- Twitter layoffs – 11/4/2022 – 200,000+ queries
- Meta Layoffs – 11/9/2022 – 200,000+ queries
Both Twitter and Meta had layoffs that were newsworthy and led to people searching for information. On a more positive note, Spotify released its annual Wrapped presentation to its users.
- Spotify Wrapped 2022 – 11/30/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
According to Wikipedia, Wrapped is a viral marketing campaign and it has garnered a lot of publicity for the brand. The AMP team wondered if the popularity for this feature was increasing or decreasing:
The peak interest occurred in 2020. SInce then, the popularity has waned a bit although the search interest in 2022 was higher than 2021.
Hurricanes and Snowfall
Wild weather calls for search to get the most up-to-date and accurate information. Here are the keywords that people queried Google last month that were weather-related.
- Hurricane tracker – 11/6/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Hurricane watch – 11/7/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Buffalo Weather – 11/16/2022 – 200,000+ queries
- Lake effect snow warning – 11/16/2022 – 200,000+ queries
As the hurricane season of 2022 came to a close, there was one more hurricane to track. Named Nicole, the storm made landfall on November 9th. The Buffalo, NY area was hit by a storm where they were measuring snow totals in feet and not inches. News outlets reported 80 inches of snow dropped from the sky.
Are You Not Entertained?
Beyond live sports, there are other things to watch. Here’s a rundown of the most popular shows and movies.
- CMA Awards 2022 – 11/9/2022 – 500,000+ queries
- Alan Jackson – 11/9/2022 – 200,000+ queries
- Black Panther 2 – 11/10/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Yellowstone Season 5 – 11/13/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Spirited – 11/18/2022 – 100,000+ queries
The Country Music Association Awards aired on the 9th and Alan Jackson won a lifetime achievement award. The sequel to Black Panther was released on November 11th and the first episode from the fifth season of Yellowstone aired on the 13th. Lastly, the Will Farrell and Ryan Reynolds Apple TV film was available to stream on the 18th.
Also, we’re not sure if you’ve heard, but Taylor Swift broke Ticketmaster:
- Ticketmaster – 11/14/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
We’re not sure if they will be fixed any time soon.
Thinking About The Time, The Moon, and The Economy
We had to turn the clocks back an hour and people wanted to know more.
- Daylight Savings – 11/5/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
It would be nice to have one time and stick with it. The Artemis rocket finally launched and it happened a day before a lunar eclipse.
- Artemis launch – 11/15/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Lunar eclipse – 11/6/2022 – 500,000+ queries
The topic of the Artemis has been popular since late August 2022 and there won’t be another total lunar eclipse until March 14, 2025. The economy is on people’s minds and it’s evident in both of these keywords.
- Fed rate hike – 11/2/2022 – 200,000+ queries
- Black Friday Deals – 11/24/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
The rise in interest rates has driven people to search so much that we have reported this phrase in our July and September 2022 reports as well. Black Friday deals are an annual top queried topic but it was interesting to see that other retailers did not make the daily top 3 this year. Is there a lower interest in holiday shopping this year because of the economy?
The Other Non-World Cup Sports Topics
Major League Baseball’s World Series captured search interest this year. The two teams that participated both grabbed a daily top 3 most search keyword spot early in November 2022.
- Phillies – 11/1/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Astros – 11/5/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
People were also interested in the National Football League last month.
- Eagles – 11/3/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Panthers – 11/10/2022 – 500,000+ queries
- Cowboys – 11/13/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Seahawks – 11/13/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Packers – 11/17/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- NFL – 11/24/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Eagles – 11/27/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
Gridiron football tends to be the most queried sport in November, but this year, we have the World Cup.
World Cup Dominance
Without comment, outside of the fact that almost a third of all of the keywords we captured for this article were related to the World Cup, here is the list of all the phrases, the dates that they were reported,and their query volume.
- Qatar – 11/18/2022 – 500,000+ queries
- Qatar vs Ecuador – 11/19/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- England vs Iran – 11/19/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Senegal vs Netherlands – 11/19/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- USA vs Wales – 11/20/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- World Cup – 11/20/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Argentina vs Saudi Arabia – 11/21/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- England vs Iran – 11/21/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- France vs Australia – 11/21/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Mexico vs Poland – 11/22/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Spain vs Costa Rica – 11/22/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Germany vs Japan – 11/22/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- England vs USA – 11/23/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Brazil vs Serbia – 11/23/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Uruguay vs South Korea – 11/23/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Portugal vs. Ghana – 11/24/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Argentina vs Mexico – 11/25/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- England vs USA – 11/25/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Portugal vs Uruguay – 11/26/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Spain vs Germany – 11/26/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Brazil vs Switzerland – 11/27/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- South Korea vs Ghana – 11/27/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Iran vs USA – 11/28/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Mexico vs Saudi Arabia – 11/28/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Ecuador vs Senegal – 11/28/2022 – 1,000,000+ queries
- Saudi Arabia vs Mexico – 11/29/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Japan vs Spain – 11/29/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
- Poland vs Argentina – 11/29/2022 – 2,000,000+ queries
- Japan vs Spain – 11/30/2022 – 5,000,000+ queries
It certainly has become a popular topic in search.
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.